The School of Health and Medical Science has now been expanded following merging with the College of Heath Science (CHS), Zanzibar which was established under Act No. 10 of 1998 of the House of Representatives as a semi autonomous organ. Traditionally, CHS is a continuation of Zanzibar Health Training School which was established in 1838. It was officially inaugurated in 1989 aiming at providing quality health services for improving life of people of Zanzibar.
The School of Health and Medical Sciences (SHMS) aims to establish the programs designed to produce the much needed health professionals for the internal and external uses. The overall objectives of the programs within the SHMS will be to produce quality and relevant health professionals, doctors, nurses, laboratory scientists,nad pharmacists who will be able to tackle the present and future health issues.
Also to provide human resources for health within and outside the region and identify , describe the most important health issues in the local and international context.
The School is located in west district within Urban West Region about 7 Kilometers South West Zanzibar Town. Access to the College is from Mazizini Police Station through Bakari Jabu Road.
- Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health
- Diploma in Nursing and Midwifery
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine
- Diploma in Clinical Dentistry
- Diploma in EnvironMental Health Sciences
- Diploma in Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Diploma in Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Sciences in Nursing and Midwifery
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Sciences
Dean of School
Dr Salma Mahmoud