The State University of Zanzibar (SUZA) and the Tanzanite Sunset (Pty) Ltd based in South Africa have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to cooperate on academic matters between them. The event took place at SUZA Vuga Campus.
The parties of this collaboration which came into effect from 28thMay, 2019 agreed to develop collaborative activities in academic areas of mutual interest specifically in Kiswahili language and particularly in the following components:
- Launching of the Kiswahili experience in South Africa which goes hand in hand with the promotion and introduction of Kiswahili language in various institutions in private, government, multinational organizations and individuals in South Africa.
- Partnership in developing centre for Kiswahili language in South Africa, starting with language training, translation and interpretation services.
- Training of trainers program of Kiswahili for communication so that SUZA can have enough facilitators across the country, Southern African Development Community (SADC) and Africa at large.
- Joint publication of Articles that speak about the origin of Kiswahili and other matters related thereto.
- Promote teaching of Kiswahili language in higher learning institutions in South Africa through linking SUZA to the interested institutions.
This protocol which was signed by Prof. Idris Rai, the SUZA Vice Chancellor on behalf of his university and Ms. Fay Shao, the founder of Tanzanite Sunset (Pty) Ltd for her institution will remain valid for five years.
The State University of Zanzibar (SUZA) was established by Act No. 8 of 1999 of the Zanzibar House of Representatives which became operational in 2001. This Act has been reamended to suit the needs of the nation in academic issues; this has quickly placed SUZA among the icons of academic quality and excellence in the Eastern Africa region and now spreads its wings to other regions beyond.
The Tanzanite Sunset (Pty) Ltd is a company based in Pretoria, South Africa and registered under South African law (Registration # 2014/012097/07).