Library regulations are designed to create a conducive and comfortable learning environment for all library users and ignorance of these will not be accepted as an excuse for their non-observance.
- Books can only be borrowed using a current student card and library materials should not be taken out of the library unless properly issued.
- Books are issued to student and administrative staff for a period of two weeks and to members of the academic staff for four weeks.
- All borrowers shall be required to present their identity cards at the issue desk every time they visit the library.
- Library materials borrowed must be returned on or before the due date.
- One book will be issued against one Reader’s Ticket for specific number of days only.
- Student cards should not be loaned to other readers.
- Lost cards should be reported immediately to the library.
- Books must be returned by the due date or earlier if recalled by the Librarian. Failure to return a book by the date specified will be treated as a serious offence. The Librarian will endeavour to send overdue notices but will not be held responsible for no delivery under whatever circumstances.
- Any borrower, including a member of the academic staff, who fails to return/renew a book on due date shall be liable to a fine of 500/- per book per day until the book has been returned.
- At the end of the loan period books borrowed must be either returned or renewed. A book may only be renewed once and provided that another reader has not requested it.
Loss and Damage of library materials
- Damaged books will be charged as a lost book or the re-binding costs whichever is appropriate.
- Lost books will incur a cost. The cost will be calculated by the replacement value of the book, which may exceed the original cost of the item, plus an administrative charge. If the title is not in print, it will be replaced by something similar in content and price. Added to this charge will be accumulated fines up to the maximum.
- Readers must not damage or deface library property. The cost of replacement will be charged if an item on loan is found to be badly damaged on return.
- Any staff member who refuses to pay the fines or replacement cost of lost books will be liable to have these costs recovered from her/his salary through the Bursar’s office. In case of students costs will be recovered from their caution money.
- Outside user members may use the library for study purposes if space is available. They must show a valid readers card when entering the library.
- Library clearance involves all students before leaving the University. Students will be required to present all their borrowing cards before the clearance form can be signed by the Librarians. Students whose certificates are not signed will not be awarded their certificates. In the case of members of staff clearance maintains when her/his employment with the University terminates or when she/he leaves the University for more than one academic year for any reasons such as studies, secondment, leave without pay, medical treatment etc.
- Books may not be transferred from one reader to another without being returned to the Library for re-issue. If any such unofficial transfer takes place, the original borrower will be held responsible for the books in question.
- Library staff may examine personal property being brought into the library and bags on leaving.
- Readers must not write in, mark, or otherwise deface or damage library material or equipment in any way.
- The library is a quiet area of study; even quiet conversation can disrupt the work of other readers. All conversation should take place outside the library.
- An accident in the library should be reported immediately to library staff.
- The Library staff on duty has the right to request a user to leave the premises if he/she is found to be violating any of the Library rules.
- In order to prevent misplacement of books on shelves, books should not be re-shelved by readers. They should leave them on the reading tables or trolleys for re-shelving by library staff.
Behaviours in the Library
- One should not enter the library with any kind of bags, coats, cases, umbrellas, raincoats and similar personal belongings.
- Placing of feet on furniture and sitting on tables are not allowed.
- Seats may not be reserved by placing personal effects on seats or reading tables.
- Mobile phones must be switched onto silent before entering the library. Readers found talking on a mobile will be asked to leave the library.
- Library books shall not be taken out of the country, except with the special permission from the Director of Library Services.
- Food and drink may not be brought into the library.
- Keeping books on the floor is not allowed.
- Readers must not engage in the harassment of any other reader or member of library
- Readers must not smoke in any part of a library.
- The use of portable computer or stereo is permitted in the Library provided there are no complaints from other users.
- All users must follow the dress code of the University while visiting the library.
- Sitting on the stairs/ corridors/ lobby areas is strictly prohibited.