The School of Health and Medical Sciences has now been expanded following merging with the then College of Health Sciences (CHS), Zanzibar which was established under Act No. 10 of 1998 of the House of Representatives as a semi autonomous organ.
Traditionally, CHS is a continuation of Zanzibar Health Training School which was established in 1938. It was officially inaugurated in 1989 aiming at providing quality health services for improving life of people of Zanzibar.
The School of Health and Medical Sciences (SHMS) aims to establish the programmes designed to produce the much needed health professionals for the internal and external uses. The overall objectives of the programmes within the SHMS will be to produce quality and relevant health professionals, doctors, nurses, laboratory scientists, and pharmacists who will be able to tackle the present and future health issues. Also to provide human resources for health within and outside the region and identify and describe the most important health issues in the local and international context.
The School is located in West District within Urban West Region about 7 kilometres South West Zanzibar Town. Access to the College is from Mazizini Police Station through Bakari Jabu Road.